Service learning policies
- Service learning is a requirement for all YR 1 students to complete.
- After completing the service learning requirements, students can then choose to enroll in the YR 1 Community Engagement elective.
- 35 Required Hours (10 clinical hours, 10 mentoring/outreach hours, 10 project hours, and 5 seminar/reflection/journal club hours).
- Students are assigned to a clinic to complete clinical hours.
- Mentoring/outreach hours are completed by self-selecting mentoring/outreach events.
- One group project is completed based on experience at the assigned clinic on patient education or clinical experience. Examples of projects could include:
- Case Report
- Medical Education Posters
- New Techniques
- Patient Education Brochures
- Assessment Tools
Commitment to volunteer assignments
- If you miss a volunteer commitment you will need to complete an additional 5 hours per missed assignment.
- You will be able to switch seminars until a week prior to the date of the seminar.
- If you miss a Saturday seminar you will be required to complete an additional five volunteer hours. These are not counted towards the requirements of the program.