WSU-SOM recognized student organizations provide outreach experiences in partnerships with agencies, schools, hospitals, etc., in the Detroit Metropolitan area. These programs are designed to promote an in-depth, year-long commitment for medical students. It may be necessary to choose more than one organization in which to be involved to complete the hours required per year. Additional hours may be added for credit with per-approval from the Director of Co-Curricular programs. Request must be submitted in writing. Please include a description of the activity, dates, length of time and contact person for the agency or organization where the activity will take place.
- Health fairs where WSU-SOM students are called upon by health and community service organizations to take and conduct health blood pressure screenings.
- World Health Student Organization medical relief missions.
- A number of free clinics for the underserved population.
- Tutoring at local schools.
- Helping kids fix bikes while discussing safety and injury prevention.
- Run laps and play games with the students to encourage healthy living habits.
- Other initiatives occur at soup kitchens, food bank, building homes etc.